Brief Media is a leading media company that develops peer-reviewed educational content and point-of-care tools for more than 259,000 veterinary professionals. With the successful release of our Plumb’s Pro product we now have need for an experienced product manager to help the Company continue with its digital transformation and grow its existing business.
The ideal candidate will have at least three (3) years’ experience as a product manager within a SaaS business and preferably come from a media/publishing background. This is a client-centric role, and you must be passionate about defining product value propositions and bringing them to life while also being able to translate the needs of the customer into clear business requirements. You will need to spot gaps in existing product offerings and provide innovative solutions that meet the customers’ demands.
You will have proven abilities to strategize and manage a full product development lifecycle from conception through to release using the latest agile development techniques combined with product management processes. While not a technical role, the ideal candidate will have a good understanding of back-end and front-end technologies, particularly programming languages and database solutions with the ability to analyze, organize and manage a product pipeline based on engineering estimates and business requirements.
This is an exciting opportunity for someone to grow into a more senior product role and be able to influence and direct the Organization’s product strategy in the coming years. It is expected that any candidate would have some domain knowledge within the media space, but also be able to demonstrate the ability to learn the specific domain knowledge required for the role.
Brief Media was founded in 2001 and has changed the veterinary publishing industry significantly since that time. Clinician’s Brief was the first publication to provide information in a format that veterinarians needed. Today the company reaches veterinary professionals globally helping small animal veterinarians and their teams expand their skills, educate themselves and engage with relevant content at any time.
Our team believes the human animal bond is a mutually beneficial one for people and pets. In other words, pets make the world a better place. Brief Media offers both pet insurance and pet bereavement as employee benefits.
Brief Media is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering an inclusive and innovative environment. We provide employment opportunities without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identify or expression, sexual orientation, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disability to perform the essential functions.
- Be instrumental in building and owning product and business planning processes for Plumb’s Pro and then driving them across cross-functional teams throughout the Organization.
- Carry out competitive analysis on current competitor offerings, identify key differentiators between product offerings, and plan a product strategy to implement new enhancements.
- Analyze customer needs and current market trends within the space in line with competitor analysis to identify key enhancements and innovations to differentiate the products.
- Design and then implement a Plumb’s Pro product development life cycle that meets ongoing business requirements and ensures successful execution of product development enhancements.
- Become the Plumb’s Pro product champion and help drive thought leadership within the space via innovative product enhancements.
- Develop, implement, and maintain product development timelines across all stakeholders and departments.
- Identify and innovate new product ideas to build a robust Plumb’s Pro product strategy that meets the commercial needs of the business.
- Manage and drive forward the execution of all key processes within the Plumb’s Pro product lifecycle including product research, competitive analysis, planning, positioning and roadmap development.
- Create product requirements that enable software engineering to successfully execute while managing the overall process from inception to subsequent product release.
- Liaise with the Sales and Customer Success Teams to clearly understand the commercial needs of the Plumb’s Pro business while also working closely with the Marketing function around go-to-market strategies for new enhancements and product functionality.
- Create product strategy documents that include the business case, high-level use cases, technical requirements/scenarios, and the ROI including revenue and operating costs.
- Working closely with the Sales and Marketing teams, analyze market data including competitors’ activities to help develop sales strategies, marketing communication plans, and clearly defined product objectives.
- Produce product collateral that provides clear product position, and messaging to differentiate the product offering from competitors across key segments.
- Collaborate closely with the engineering/development teams, operations teams, and the sales and marketing teams through the whole product development lifecycle to ensure a successful release and correct allocation of resources.
- Practice discretion at all times, when discussing any production roll-out and commercially sensitive material pertaining to the business.
The product manager will be expected to work closely with the following areas of the Organization
- The Leadership team, working with key stakeholders to successfully deliver on business objectives driven by product.
- Sales and Marketing to ensure close collaboration on forthcoming product releases
- Product Development and Engineering Teams to facilitate successful development and deployment of product releases.
- Technology Personnel over and above Engineering to ensure adequate infrastructure is in place for any product initiative.
Required Skills and Qualifications
Extensive experience within a dynamic product management role.
- Proven experience overseeing all elements of the product development lifecycle.
- Domain knowledge of the B2B media space with experience preferably within the healthcare or veterinary segments.
- Excellent communication skills including the ability to communicate and influence at all levels both internally and externally.
- Effective cross-functional team management across multiple disciplines.
- 3+ years’ experience as a product manager within B2B SaaS businesses preferably within a digital publishing environment.
- Highly articulate with proven experience of breaking down complex problems into simpler and more easily consumed product requirements by the Engineering team.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in business studies, media studies, product design/management or similar.
- Previous software or web development experience as a product developer.
- Experience in UI/UX (User Interface/User Experience) methodologies and processes.
- Domain knowledge of the veterinary, dentistry or medical workflow.
First and foremost, Brief Media is a team comprised of individuals who value, embrace and treasure pets. They cognitively see the world as a better place when animals are in it and recognize the human:animal bond as one that provides immeasurable benefits to people and pets alike.
PASSION: We have passion for WHAT we do because we unequivocally believe in the WHY. Our people are energetic, spirited, with fire in their souls.
INTEGRITY: With strong moral compasses to guide them, our team chooses to do what’s right for the profession, for the company, for our clients, for each other and for themselves…even when no one is watching.
IMPROVING, ALWAYS: We believe in challenging conventional thinking in order to make it better. Our team strives for transformative innovation: every product, every process, every person, every day.
GO THE EXTRA MILE: Our best quality and effort isn’t what comes easy. It is that which requires drive, commitment, sheer willpower…and then, just a little bit more.
VERSATILITY: We not only like change, we embrace it by regularly adapting our skill sets in order to lead innovation in the veterinary profession.
TEAMWORK: We are one team with one purpose, one vision, one focus, one goal.